Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Seattle Bound

I am so incredibly giddy it is a bit ridiculous.  Ross and I booked tickets for a trip to Seattle last night.  For ten days.  A true vacation...no wedding, no funerals, no conferences.  Just pure, unadulterated rest, relaxation and friends.  Oh.  And beer.  LOTS of beer.

In my search for the must see breweries, I came across what may possibly be the perfect day in my book.

We were planning on heading to Portland for a few days during our trip to visit my aunt.  So our brewery map expanding quite a bit.  Rogue and Deschutes were high on the list, until we saw the 3-4 hour drive each way from Portland that this would entail.  As much as I love Deschutes, 8 hours in the car for one destination didn't quite seem worth it.

Poking a little closer to Portland I found Full Sail Brewery.  I've seen them around here.  I'm sure I've tried their beer, though I can't really remember (I have had over 150 distinct beers already this year and it's only March...it's easy to loose track).  One wonderful thing about this region is the sheer love for craft beer.   Minnesota is getting there, but quite frankly the volume in the Northwest is mind-boggling.  But because of this love of local, wonderful beer, the breweries cater a bit more to their clientele...i.e. tap rooms and tour are usually offered seven days a week instead of being limited to Saturdays and Sundays.  Holy overflowing pint glass!  Knowing we wouldn't be limited to the weekends for a craft brewery fix opened up so many more possibilities!

Which brings me back to Full Sail.  They were a mere hour from Portland and offered a highly recommended tour by Gorge magazine, Trip Advisor, among others and was listed as one of top 8 brewery tours by AAA (not that I suspect AAA is really on top of the craft beer scene...)

Upon further poking and digging I noticed the drive snaked along the Columbia River.  I am ignorant of this area.  I had no idea the day trip drive would entail so many parks, trails and waterfalls.  I was sold the moment that realization sunk in.  Hiking and Beer?  Pure heaven.

As I was digging a little deeper into what the Gorge had to offer when an old classmate mentioned a few hikes and another brewery just outside of Portland.  As fate would have it, both Walking Man Brewery and the triple falls hike were both along the route to Hood River.  It seemed one full day of hiking, waterfalls and craft beer had been booked.

I couldn't be happier or more excited.  This trip is so long overdue.

Oh.  And apparently July is Craft Beer Month in Oregon.  I suspect we may be in trouble...

1 Comments:

Blogger Jack Petersen said...

You will love it! Seattle and areas around it are among my favorite places in the U.S.

March 11, 2013 at 3:11:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home